Rivaroxaban (the main ingredient that is active in Xarelto), is a direct factor Xa inhibitor that is prescribed for patients that have recently undergone knee or hip surgery replacement for the prophylaxis of deep vein thrombosis, and to also reduce the imminent risk of stroke to patients with atrial fibrillation.
The drug Xarelto is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceutical (a subdivision of Johnson & Johnson) and marketed by Bayer Healthcare AG. Its original approval date by the FDA was July 2011 with the intent of reducing excessive bleeding in patients with deep vein thrombosis followed by a massive approval in November the same year following its ability in reducing the risk of stroke and a blood clot in patients suffering from atrial fibrillation.
The Side Effects of Xarelto
Xarelto, the blood thinner, is said to cause adverse health complications like stroke, uncontrolled bleeding and sometimes even death considering that there is no antidote for it.
The blood thinner may bring to its user, other life-threatening complications and some of them are:
- Fever – may be worse if it occurs the same time as a stroke. Fever can also be seen as a sign of urinary tract infection or pneumonia. Can be managed with aspirin or acetaminophen.
- Blood clots – deep vein thrombosis, which may lead to pulmonary embolism (clotting in the lungs).
- High blood sugar – common in patients with type 2 diabetes. Extreme blood sugar level immediately after a stroke shrinks the brain cells and may lead to permanent damage.
- Coma – injury to the brain cells causes unconsciousness.
- Seizure – abrupt abnormal electric activity in the brain and is more common in the elderly patients.
- Hydrocephalus – is the buildup of spinal fluid in the brain.
- Pressure on the brain – occurs after the brain swells following a massive stroke.
- Another stroke – 1 in every 4 who have suffered a stroke is more likely to have a recurrent stroke.
The Xarelto Stroke Lawsuit
Lawsuits are being filed for the people who took the medication and were harmed by it, people who had people in their family take the drug and ended up dead. The reasons for filing the lawsuit are lost wages and the incurred finances for the users and the emotional distress for the caregivers. The claims are being made to the manufacturing company (Jenssen Pharmaceuticals), and the marketing company (Bayer Healthcare AG). The lawyers claim that patients were not warned about the adverse effects of the drug.
Who Can File A Xarelto Lawsuit?
If you are a user of the drug or you believe that you lost someone to death because of the drug, and to know whether you are eligible for a lawsuit, a qualified attorney is a right person to consult.
The Advantage of Filing a Lawsuit
Filing for a lawsuit, you may be entitled to compensation for future and current medical expenses related to the stroke, and also for damages and pains that have been caused by Xarelto. The lawsuit also discourages other pharmaceutical companies from manufacturing drugs that have dangerous side effects to the consumers.